Assistant Portfolio Manager, Direct Investments
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Associate Portfolio Manager on the Private Equity team.
Established in 1988, CalSTRS Private Equity program invests globally in partnerships, separate accounts, general partner interests, secondary interests and co-investments. Investments include buyouts, equity expansion, debt-related and venture capital. External advisors support the program by providing investment selection advice, research and gate-keeping services.
Private Equity is a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with opportunities for training and advancement. While collaborating with some of the best general partners, advisors, consultants and attorneys, you will contribute to the success of one of the largest Private Equity programs in the world. Team members will collaborate with the broader CalSTRS Investment Office leaders and engage in projects ranging from evaluation of co-investments, secondary transactions, and other private equity investment strategies.
Come join the Private Equity team as we work toward our goal of enhancing equity returns and ultimately ensuring retirement benefits for California’s educators!
Responsibilities of the Associate Portfolio Manager include:
- Performing due diligence and underwriting on all co-investments (primary and secondary) and other transaction types (partnerships, strategic relationships, special situations, etc.) assessing past and projected financial performance, quality of management teams, investment merits and risks, expected returns, and market attractiveness.
- Providing insight and data supporting how the private equity co-investment portfolio is likely to develop over time, given the current asset mix as well as the projected future opportunity set. Analyze and review program-wide performance quarterly while recommending and implementing program adjustments.
- Assisting in the development of a comprehensive strategy for the co-investment program (primary and secondary) in order to determine the optimal portfolio structure that meets or exceeds the total return objectives of the Private Equity Program and the overall Fund.
- Acting as a lead and resource to staff in the execution of co-investment (primary and secondary) transactions and oversee the required portfolio monitoring and management process.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 50% of base salary.
An Associate Portfolio Manager who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
The ideal candidate will be results oriented with proven knowledge and experience with investment in private equity and portfolio analytics.
The California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) is the largest educator-only pension fund in the world. CalSTRS proudly provides retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s 964,000 public school educators and their families.
The Investments Branch manages the investment portfolio for the nation’s second largest public pension fund; providing retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s more than 964,000 K-12 teachers, plus community college educators and their families. The Investments Branch manages a portfolio that is broadly diversified into seven asset categories with assets totaling approximately $275 billion as of November 30, 2020 . In 2020, the CalSTRS Investments Branch was named in Pensions & Investments magazine’s “Best Places to Work in Money Management” list for the sixth time since 2013, and our employees continue to support an inclusive environment.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- MBA or possession of an advanced degree in business, finance, economics or a related field
- Broad and extensive experience in US and non-US private markets
- Proven and successful experience record of private market investments
- Commitment to strong governance, transparency and compliance practices
- In-depth knowledge and experience investing across various private equity investment vehicles including funds, co-investments, direct investments, and other transaction types
- Experience managing, mentoring and developing staff
- Commitment to fostering a collaborative work environment
- Ability to work effectively with a broad variety of external contacts, such as consultants, investment managers, and investment partners
- Ability to work well-independently and with Senior Management and deal teams
- Compelling presentation skills, and outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- CFA designation or other professional certification such as CAIA
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.
Assistant Portfolio Manager, Direct Investments
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$10,000.00 - $15,000.00 per Month
|Posting Start Date:
This position requires a current Associate Portfolio Manager, CalSTRS Exam. If you need to take the exam or if your score has expired, click here to gain list eligibility.
CalSTRS Personal Trading Program
Investment Branch employees are required to participate in the CalSTRS Personal Trading Program which allows CalSTRS to monitor employees’ personal trading transactions in order to reduce risks associated with insider trading, front running, and misusing material non-public information. Upon accepting a position within the Investment Branch, you will be required to disclose your personal broker account information and be required to utilize a personal broker from a designated list as provided by CalSTRS.
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political Reform Act.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 3/10/2021
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
State Teachers' Retirement System
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Electronic applications through your CalCareer account are highly recommended. If you are unable to apply electronically through your CalCareer account, please mail or drop off a hard copy of your application packet. Please provide the following information on your application: RPAs 4914, JC-229323
- If education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications, please submit a copy of your transcripts/degree.
- Training and Development (T&D) assignments may be considered for this position. If you are applying as a T&D, please indicate this in the eligibility section of your application.
- Candidate may be selected by application packet review only.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
||This listing expires on: 3/10/2021