Investment Officer III, Risk Mitigating Strategies
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Investment Officer III in the Risk Mitigating Strategies Unit.
The Risk Mitigating Strategies (RMS) asset class became a part of the total plan asset allocation in 2016. RMS seeks to construct a portfolio of positively returning strategies that provide protection to the total plan during deep and extended equity market downturns. RMS currently includes allocations to trend following, long-duration U.S. Treasuries, global macro and systematic risk premia.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager, the Investment Officer III will be responsible for the oversight of complex investment strategies within the RMS Portfolio. The incumbent will conduct due diligence to evaluate investment services and opportunities, measure and interpret performance data and risk relating to investment managers and implement strategies in support of the RMS portfolio.
Responsibilities of the Investment Officer III include:
- Conducting ongoing due diligence and on-site visits with the investment community including consultants, investment managers, brokers and advisors.
- Incorporating quantitative techniques to measure and interpret performance data and risk as well as qualitative information relating to investment managers.
- Serving in a lead capacity as a role model to staff members, overseeing duties performed by staff members, and assisting staff in improving their analysis and project management skills.
- Sourcing new investment strategies, both internal and external, that are consistent with the goals of RMS.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 15% of base salary, increasing to 20% next fiscal year July 1, 2020.
An incumbent who possesses a professional certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter and a good team player with a strong understanding of quantitative research methods, and experience performing quantitative analysis in an investment environment.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in finance, economics, mathematics, and/or similar technical field
- Five years of experience in the financial services industry
- Experience assisting in the development and implementation of investment policies and strategies
- Knowledge of investment principles and trends across multi-asset classes, both public and private
- Extensive knowledge of the due diligence process
- Strong understanding of quantitative research process and methods to produce and interpret information
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and exercise initiative and flexibility
- Ability to effectively analyze information to develop and present appropriate recommendations
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
- Ability to perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of statistical measures
- High attention to detail
- Familiarity with Bloomberg, R Studio, Excel, AlternativeSoft
Investment Officer III, Risk Mitigating Strategies
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$9,122 - $10,878 / month
|Posting Start Date:
This position requires a current Investment Officer III Exam. If you need to take the exam or if your score has expired, click here to gain list eligibility.
CalSTRS Personal Trading Program
Investment Branch employees are required to participate in the CalSTRS Personal Trading Program which allows CalSTRS to monitor employees’ personal trading transactions in order to reduce risks associated with insider trading, front running, and misusing material non-public information. Upon accepting a position within the Investment Branch, you will be required to disclose your personal broker account information and be required to utilize a personal broker from a designated list as provided by CalSTRS.
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political Reform Act.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: Until Filled
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Electronic applications through your CalCareer account are highly recommended. If you are unable to apply electronically through your CalCareer account, please mail or drop off a hard copy of your application packet. Please provide the following information on your application: RPA 4607, JC-201885
- If education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications, please submit a copy of your transcripts/degree.
- Training and Development (T&D) assignments may be considered for this position. If you are applying as a T&D, please indicate this in the eligibility section of your application.
- Candidate may be selected by application packet review only.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
||This listing expires on: 11/11/2020