Associate Portfolio Manager, Private Assets
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Associate Portfolio Manager in the Investment Operations Unit.
Investment Operations’ primary function is to provide middle-office support for internal and external portfolio activities by performing pre-settlement portfolio controls, cash and trade management, cash flow analysis, portfolio and total fund reporting, and by partnering with the asset classes to align operational services for the successful implementation of the Investment Policy and Management Plan.
Under the general direction of the Investment Operations Director, the incumbent provides independent analysis and consultation regarding the development and implementation of investment strategies to support Investments Operations, including providing oversight over the operational functions for private asset classes, internal controls, risk management, and collaborating with asset classes to achieve the goals and objectives of Investment Operations and CalSTRS’ Investment Portfolio.
Responsibilities of the Associate Portfolio Manager include:
- Providing oversight over the operational functions for private asset classes, including setting up new controls, and reviewing and approving all operational tasks.
- Evaluating existing investment processes, procedures and internal controls related to private asset classes to assess the associated risks and implement measures to mitigate risks.
- Representing CalSTRS at investment and strategic business partner meetings and disseminate the rationale and positions adopted by the fund on issues such as security settlements, investment accounting, and cash management.
- Supervising staff and participating in the personnel processes, including recruitment, hiring, training and Performance Management.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 50% of base salary.
Associate Portfolio Manager, Private Assets
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$10,000 - $15,000 Monthly
|Posting Start Date:
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Possession of an advanced degree in Finance, Business, Economics or a closely related field
- Knowledge of private asset investment principles and practices
- Experience in the investment industry performing accounting, reconciliations, or operational tasks related to private assets
- Experience managing, supervising, or leading staff
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across asset classes
- Ability to prioritize and ensure deadlines are met
- Ability to research and analyze complex issues with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to conduct oneself and communicate with tact, sensitivity, and diplomacy under a variety of circumstances
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve results through collaboration
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 7/21/2020
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Statement of Qualifications - A Statement of Qualifications is required. Please see the Special Requirements section of the job posting for detailed instructions.
||This listing expires on: 7/21/2020