Assistant Manager of Investment Operations
Reporting to the Manager of the Investment Operations Department (IOD), this position is responsible for overseeing and directing the day-to-day activities of the Investment Operations Department. These activities include communicating timely, accurate and relevant information about the investments owned by the System to the appropriate internal decision makers, the statutory custodian, custodian bank, regulatory agencies and other authorized users of investment information.
The duties of the Assistant Manager of Investment Operations include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Acts as primary backup to the department manager and primary back up to the business unit supervisors
• Develops and maintains strong communications and relationships with each area of investments including Public Equities, Fixed Income, Real Estate and Private Equity, as well as areas of Finance, Legal, Actuary, Information Technology, Purchasing, Budget and Analytics and Internal Audit.
• In conjunction with unit supervisors, implements technology solutions to ensure efficient and secure operations and improve the delivery of investment information between other departments and external trading contacts (including investment managers, general partners, the custodian bank, brokers, DTCC and the Federal Reserve).
• Administers in conjunction with unit supervisors, the daily activities of the department including cash management, trade settlement, all categories of investment accounting, reconciliation, securities lending, performance measurement, proxy voting, and reporting
• Issues the department’s periodic reports and annual budget. Oversees the regulatory reporting with SEC, Department of Financial Services, Independent Auditors, Department of Treasury, and other external parties.
• Ensures compliance with laws, policies and contracts as per Investment Policy Manual, Administrative Policy Manual, rules and regulations and various contracts (such as with our custodian bank)
• Oversees the business continuity plan to ensure resiliency of all mission critical investment operations and cash management activities. Ensures staff are cross trained to cover all mission critical processes. Ensures disaster recovery processes exist for computer systems, archived records and critical processes.
• Acts as liaison with outside investment managers, banks, property advisors, regulators, auditors, Dept of Treasury, SEC and others. Manages workflows and communication flows so deadlines and reporting requirements are met. Monitors compliance with contracts and service level agreements.
• Develops RFPs for various services including custodian bank, investment software systems, investment information (pricing, proxy, class actions) and manages the acquisition process through completion
• Attends and presents at Internal Investment Committee and Board meetings
• Oversees special projects and research as assigned