Manager, Diversity in Investments
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking a motivated, results-oriented individual to work as the Manager, Diversity in Investments in the Investment Executive Unit.
The Investments Branch manages the investment portfolio for the nation’s second largest public pension fund; providing retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s more than 949,000 K-12 teachers, plus community college educators and their families. The Investments Branch manages a portfolio that is broadly diversified into seven asset categories with assets totaling approximately $239.3 billion as of April 30, 2020.
CalSTRS is committed to setting best practice precedents, implementing innovative diversity and inclusion principles, motivating positive change, and advancing the world’s investment markets. We do this by establishing collaborative relationships across a vast network of investment managers, portfolio companies and industry associations in order to maximize returns and leverage opportunities for positive change.
The Manager, Diversity in Investments will work with the Deputy Chief Investment Officer (DCIO) and Asset Class Directors in order to expand and manage the diversity of external investment managers, organize events that promote diversity in the broader investment industry, and facilitate relationships with industry affinity groups.
Primary responsibilities of the Manager, Diversity in Investments include:
- Collaborating with the Deputy CIO and the Investments Branch Diversity Steering Committee to manage and coordinate CalSTRS investment management diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Serving as CalSTRS Investments ambassador to the investment managers market place, along with the CIO, DCIO, and Investment Branch leadership.
- Represent CalSTRS diversity efforts at all events and at major educational / trade organization conferences
- Help external firms understand CalSTRS portfolio and external investment manager review process.
- Leading the Investments Branch Diversity & Inclusion Team.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 45% of base salary, increasing to 50% of base salary next fiscal year July 1, 2020.
An incumbent who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative self-starter with strong communication skills, a commitment to diversity of thought, and advanced knowledge of issues and practices surrounding the Diversity & Inclusion efforts in investment management.
Relocation reimbursement may be provided for this position.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Knowledge of investment principles and practices
- Knowledge of financial markets
- Knowledge of issues and practices surrounding the Diversity & Inclusion efforts in investment management
- Experience leading or managing change within an investment environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity of thought, an inclusive leadership style, and ability to give and receive feedback with the highest level of professionalism
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled facilitator, able to navigate difficult conversations with a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to anticipate problems or difficulties and propose solutions
- Ability to complete assignments with a high level of independence
- Ability to conduct oneself and communicate with tact, sensitivity, and diplomacy under a variety of circumstances
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines while managing multiple assignments
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information entrusted to this position
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve results through collaboration
- Ability to identify and track metrics of success (results and outcome orientation)
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
Manager, Diversity in Investments
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||$10,000 - $15,000 Monthly
|Posting Start Date:
Statement of Qualifications
Interested individuals must submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) in addition to the standard state application (form STD 678). Your SOQ will be considered the first interview for this position. If your qualifications are competitive, you will be invited to an on-site interview. When completing the SOQ, please include all relevant experience, education, and training, as applicable, and explain all responses thoroughly. Your SOQ should not exceed two pages, single-spaced, 12-point font and address the following:
- Describe your education and experience as they relate to this position. Specifically address your Diversity & Inclusion experience.
- Describe the importance of diversity in investment management.
- Describe your approach to managing diversity. What steps would you take to develop and evaluate a diversity management strategy?
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political Reform Act.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 6/24/2020
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Statement of Qualifications - A Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) is required.
The Human Resources Contact is available to answer questions regarding the position or application process.
Human Resources Contact:
Please direct requests for Reasonable Accommodations to the interview scheduler at the time the interview is being scheduled. You may direct any additional questions regarding Reasonable Accommodations or Equal Employment Opportunity for this position(s) to the Department's EEO Office.
California Relay Service: 1-800-735-2929 (TTY), 1-800-735-2922 (Voice) TTY is a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf, and is reachable only from phones equipped with a TTY Device.
||This listing expires on: 7/8/2020