Director of Investment Services
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as Director of Investment Services.
The Investments Branch manages the investment portfolio for the nation’s second largest public pension fund; providing retirement, disability and survivor benefits to California’s more than 964,000 K-12 teachers, plus community college educators and their families. The Investments Branch manages a portfolio that is broadly diversified into seven asset categories with assets totaling approximately $243.2 billion as of February 29, 2020.
In 2019, the CalSTRS Investments Branch was named in Pensions & Investments magazine’s “Best Places to Work in Money Management” list for the fifth time since 2013, and our employees continue to support an inclusive environment.
Under the direction of the Chief Investment Officer (CIO), the Director of Investment Services has responsibility for business and operational management of the Investment Branch, which covers several support units and functions: Investment Operations, Investment Branch Administration, and the Investment Performance & Compliance functions.
The Director of Investment Services serves in a leadership role to address investment policy issues and coordinate efficient and smooth communication between the Asset Classes and the three units reporting to this position.
Responsibilities of the Director of Investment Services include:
- Serving as a subject matter expert for operational, administrative, and compliance purposed by serving as a core member of the Investment Branch senior leadership team, working in close coordination with the CIO and DCIO to ensure cohesive management of the CalSTRS investment portfolio.
- Leading and directing investment staff responsible for Investment Branch compliance (e.g., FPPC-Form 700 economic interest statements, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules, gratuity tracking, and professional ethics), and trade compliance.
- Oversee and direct the administrative business services of the Investment Branch, including budgeting, personnel, travel management, invoices, procurement and special projects.
- Participating in the formulation and interpretation of enterprise-wide policies.
- Ensuring effective and accurate accounting of the Investment Portfolio within the CalSTRS and State accounting system
- Serving as the primary back-up for the CIO and DCIO.
This position is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 100% of base salary, increasing to 125% next fiscal year July 1, 2020.
An incumbent who possesses a professional certification in one of the following designations: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts (CAIA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential. Only one 5% base pay differential is eligible regardless of the number of certifications.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader with extensive knowledge of investment principles and practices, and experience with institutional investments.
This position requires significant travel in-state, out-of-state, and at times out-of-country.
Director of Investment Services
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||$21,834 - $32,667
|Posting Start Date:
Experience: Five years of experience in the California state service performing the duties at a level of responsibility comparable to a Principle Investment Officer, Retirement Systems.
Experience: Seven years of broad and extensive investment management experience for a major financial institution or firm, or governmental agency, including some experience in leading or coordinating professional staff; and review of an institutional investment portfolio. Qualifying State experience must be at a level comparable to that of a Principle Investment Officer, Retirement Systems. and Education: Equivalent to graduation from college with major work in business administration, economics, finance, or a closely related field.
(Possession of an advanced degree in one of the fields included above in the education requirement, or a closely related degree; or certification such as a Chartered Financial Analyst or other equivalent financial or accounting certification such as a Certified Public Accountant, may be substituted for one year of the required experience.)
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Advanced degree in finance, economics, business or a related field
- CFA Designation
- Extensive knowledge of investment principles and practices across multi-asset classes, both public and private
- Knowledge of investment accounting and various investment transactions
- Experience providing oversight and management of investment performance, investment compliance/ethics programs, investment cost projects, or investment operations for a large institutional investment portfolio
- Experience participating in the development and implementation of investment policies and strategies
- Experience evaluating operational and compliance risk
- Experience presenting information or findings to a Board and/or an Investment Committee
- Experience managing a broad range of professional investment staff
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
- Ability to promote cross-functional collaboration and communication in support of CalSTRS strategic plan, Investment Policy and Management Plan and business goals
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to evaluate situations with diversity of thought and take effective action
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 6/13/2020
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Other - A Cover Letter is required and must be included.
- Statement of Qualifications - A Statement of Qualifications is required.
||This listing expires on: 6/14/2020