Director of Internal Audit--DCRB
The District of Columbia Retirement Board (“DCRB”) is seeking to fill a newly created Director of Internal Audit position. The Director of Internal Audit will be responsible for working with DCRB’s General Counsel, Executive Director, and the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees to determine the scope of activities for the agency’s internal audit and compliance functions, as well as building a framework for managing risks across DCRB’s operations. The Director of Internal Audit position will report to DCRB’s General Counsel. This role is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive internal financial, procedural, and compliance audit program. The audit program will evaluate internal control measures, policies, and information systems. The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for identifying and reporting conditions perceived to pose risks or potential losses to the organization, and for notifying management and the Audit Committee of perceived irregularities, fraud, or other acts detected through the application of usual and customary audit procedures.
• Identifies risk to the organization, and works with management to develop processes that minimize risks and encourage efficiency and effectiveness.
• Consults with DCRB departments regarding business risks, control objectives, and techniques.
• Develops an annual risk-based audit plan, and presents the plan to the Audit Committee for review and approval.
• Leads program initiatives and coordinates across diverse stakeholders that span organizational boundaries.
• Plans audit schedules, and develops audit scope, work paper, and report-format presentations.
Director of Internal Audit (#20191212) Page 2 of 4
• Develops and provides summaries of Internal Audit activity to the Audit Committee; works with the Audit Committee Chair to schedule and organize regular Committee meetings; and responds to requests of the Audit Committee.
• Coordinates activities within the annual external audit to accomplish a thorough and efficient review of DCRB’s organization.
• Performs testing to assess compliance with policies, procedures, and management directives.
• Monitors professional auditing standards, and stays abreast of relevant changes.
• Manages special audit-related projects.
• Builds within the agency an understanding of the policies, procedures, and laws applicable to DCRB’s operations and the management of the plan assets.
• Implements a program for working with management to remediate findings within an audit, and confirms the resolution of any issues identified.
• Coordinates with the General Counsel, Audit Committee, and senior management to define an escalation protocol for addressing material issues or issues that remain unresolved by management after a predefined amount of time.
• Performs ongoing reviews of DCRB’s controls infrastructure, and researches industry leading practices to evaluate the adequacy and comprehensiveness of the agency’s existing controls.
• Conducts regular meetings with management to identify business changes that may impact the effectiveness of DCRB’s control infrastructure, and identifies areas for control enhancements or more comprehensive management-oversight programs.