Director of Finance
The Teachers' Retirement System of the State of Illinois is seeking a Director of Finance. Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Finance is responsible for directing the management of strategic and tactical financial planning for the agency, with key activity that includes definition, deployment, and management of the annual operating plan; balance-sheet assessment and management; driving continuous improvement in Finance and related business processes. The incumbent also establishes and administers internal controls to assure compliance with Board directives and enables senior management with reports and analysis to determine financial performance levels and assure acceptable accounting practices and compliance guidelines are followed.
This position provides planning, direction and management support within the Accounting/Finance and Employer Services departments. Interaction with both internal and external auditors is a routine requirement for this position. The incumbent provides support to implementing and improving upon new systems and system enhancements. The position is responsible for assigning and reviewing subordinates’ work, preparing performance appraisals, etc.
Director of Finance
|Teachers' Retirement System of the State of Illinois
|$11,099 - $14,207 monthly
|Posting Start Date:
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the areas within the Finance department including accounting and employer services.
- Assist in decision-making and direction for financial and fiscal operations including budget, procurement and financial management.
- Maintain a broad perspective of finance and operational and administrative needs while controlling a myriad of details essential to the integrity of internal documentation and reports.
- Assist in the development of staff and engage in succession planning to assure stability and continuity of System services.
- Leads various TRS projects and initiatives, applying change management methodologies to achieve successful outcomes and facilitate seamless organizational transitions.
- Responsible for ensuring sound accounting practices are applied in relation to the general ledger, receipt of payments, processing of deposits and the collection of accounts receivable.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with TRS’s external auditors, outside vendors and internal staff. Manage the audit process and reconciliation of reports which is essential to ensuring timely, accurate and compliant reporting within TRS and state policies.
- Review, finalize and audit financial data from TRS systems, custodians and consultants for the TRS Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Board of Trustees requirements.
- Manage all internal financial reports provided to the Board of Trustees, vendors, peers and other entities, and oversee the process for capturing needed data internally.
- Coordinate and oversee FOIA requests and submissions related to finance operations.
- Create and manage policies and procedures related to all finance, procurement, and employer services operations. Work with accounting, compliance, and other TRS areas to propose and implement new policies as necessary.
- Coordinate with risk and compliance personnel to ensure all finance activity is validated, reconciled, and follows proper compliance and procedural guidelines.
- Coordinate and manage processes and procedures related to systems impacting finance, procurement, and employer services operations, (Pension Admin System, Dynamics 365, Laserfiche, Workday, etc.).
- Oversee preparation of the quarterly and annual financial statements prior to submission to the TRS Board of Trustees and the TRS Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Assist in overseeing the TRS annual budget process, periodic variance analysis and dissemination of periodic administrative budget reports.
- Coordinate and administer payroll functions to ensure accurate and timely payment to staff.
- Oversee preparation of the annual Generally Accepted Principles (GAAP) reporting package and implementation of any new Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB) statements.
- Serve as a backup liaison to the external auditors. Assists the Chief Financial Officer with reviewing and ensuring compliance with external reporting requirements.
- Perform other duties as related or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to lead/manage others.
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills with the ability to make sound financial decisions.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal abilities.
- Manages effective teams and assumes personal responsibility for actions.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or a related field.
- MBA or CPA preferred.
- Five (5) years’ experience in a senior financial management role, preferably as a Director of Finance or similar position including progressive responsibility in supervisory experience.
- In-depth knowledge of financial regulations, accounting principles, and financial reporting.
- Proficiency in financial software and MS Office suite
External candidates may apply online using the following links: Director of Finance
- State, health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- 12 vacation, 12 sick, and 3 personal time days of compensated time
- Teachers’ Retirement System Pension
- Deferred compensation plan
|This listing expires on: 3/10/2024