Financial Planning Specialist
The CalSTRS Financial Planning, Accounting and Reporting Division is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as a Financial Accountant II on the Accounting & Reporting/Financial Planning and Budgetary Reporting Team.
The Financial Planning, Accounting and Reporting Division is responsible for developing and maintaining the annual financial planning processes, preparing accounting records and managerial reports detailing cost and performance information, and coordinating and preparing the financial statements in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Financial Planning & Budgetary Reporting (FPBR) unit is responsible for working with each of the CalSTRS branches to develop annual financial plans outlining budgetary and resource needs. The FPBR unit is responsible for developing the California State Teachers’ Retirement System’s annual budget, monitoring, and maintaining the budget, preparing expenditure forecasts, and preparing an Annual Budget Report in accordance with the requirements promulgated by the Government Finance Officers' Association. In addition, the FPBR performs legislative, fiscal, and budgetary policy analysis. Finally, the FPBR unit oversees CalSTRS cost allocation methodology, monitors periodic cost allocation transactions, and prepares information on cost performance.
Under the general supervision of the Financial Accountant III, the Financial Accountant II (FA II) performs highly complex and specialized financial planning, pension program forecasting, research, analysis, and reporting relative to the CalSTRS budget. Primary responsibilities include development of the CalSTRS annual budget documents, comprehensive multi-year financial plan, pension plan budget forecasts, budget related board agenda materials, and ad hoc budgetary reporting. As part of the annual budget development, the FA II is responsible for completing annual budgetary drills/exercises and reporting, as required by the California Department of Finance (DOF); developing financial planning procedures and policies to improve budget information, enhance multi-year financial forecasts, streamline budgetary processes, and strengthen internal controls. The FA II analyzes proposed legislation impacting the pension system, estimates potential fiscal impacts and provides written analysis and recommendations to management. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for leading the transition from manual budgeting processes into automated solutions within BusinessDirect or other enterprise software.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Strong accounting and/or budgeting knowledge, skills, and experiences with advanced ability to research and analyze accounting, budgeting, and other fiscal data and develop sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, with a strong degree of being detail oriented and focused accuracy.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of staff and management, and in preparing written work products.
- Ability to independently plan, self-organize, self-start, establish workload priorities, multi-task, work well under pressure, and exercise initiative.
- Degree in Accountancy or related financial field.
Every 12 months, based on performance evaluation, employees may receive a 5% salary increase until they reach the maximum salary for the position.
This position may supervise staff in the future.
Telework Information: We offer a hybrid approach including in-office and remote work solutions with staff working on-site at our Headquarters in West Sacramento 2 days per week.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement
Financial Planning Specialist
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$7,923.00 - $9,846.00 monthly
|Posting Start Date:
Statement of Qualifications
Interested individuals must submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) in addition to the standard state application (form STD 678). Your SOQ will be considered the first interview for this position. If your qualifications are competitive, you will be invited to an on-site interview. When completing the SOQ, please include all relevant experience, education, and training, as applicable, and explain all answers thoroughly. Your SOQ should not exceed two pages, be single-spaced, 12-point font and address the following questions.
- Provide an example of how you utilized your research, reconciliation, and/or analytical skills on a complex accounting, budgeting, and/or fiscal data or problem you have not encountered before. Describe your approach to this assignment and the outcome.
- Briefly describe your experience with budget development and forecasting, and the audience for this work.
- Briefly describe a situation that exemplifies your accountability for your work products.
This position requires a current Financial Accountant II Exam. If you need to take the exam or if your score has expired, click here to gain list eligibility.
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
CalSTRS Disclosure Requirements
This position may be subject to disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, including the Conflict of Interest Code that applies to CalSTRS team members and the Political Reform Act, which require disclosure of certain investment information and use of a designated trading platform for securities transactions, as well as filing a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700).
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 10/5/2023
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
State Teachers' Retirement System
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Statement of Qualifications - A Statement of Qualifications is required. Please see the Special Requirements section of the job posting for detailed instructions.
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.
All civil service positions have salary ranges with minimum and maximum pay rates. Typically, employees who are new to civil service are appointed at the minimum rate of the salary range for the position. Special provisions for appointments above the minimum exist to meet special recruitment needs and to accommodate employees who transfer into a position from another civil service position and are already receiving salaries above the minimum.
||This listing expires on: 10/5/2023