Investment Officer, Investment Performance
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Investment Officer II on the Investment Performance and Compliance team.
The Investment Performance & Compliance team is comprised of two units: Investment Performance and Investment Compliance. Investment Performance oversees the performance and attribution analysis for the CalSTRS total fund, asset classes and benchmarks. Investment Compliance helps foster a culture of the highest ethical standard. The team monitors and implements compliance activities that enable the Investment Branch to comply with policies and regulations while reducing risks and safeguarding the assets of CalSTRS members.
The Investment Officer II is responsible for providing investment performance analysis and reporting under the general direction of the Associate Portfolio Manager. The incumbent will research performance and attribution data for all CalSTRS' funds, aggregate and indices, recommend industry best practices, and work with asset class staff to resolve performance discrepancies. The incumbent is responsible for performing complex duties requiring a high degree of independence, confidentiality, creativity and discretionary judgment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Experience reporting or interpreting investment performance data
- Experience or knowledge of performing investment performance attribution analysis
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to research, analyze, and interpret complex technical information
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Duties will be adjusted at the Investment Officer I level.
An incumbent who possesses a professional certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential.
Every 12 months, based on performance evaluation, employees may receive a 5% salary increase until they reach the maximum salary for the position.
Telework Information: We offer a hybrid approach including in-office and remote work solutions with staff working on-site at our Headquarters in West Sacramento 2 to 3 days per week.
Does this opportunity seem right for you? If so, see the Application Instructions section below and apply now.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
Investment Officer, Investment Performance
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$7,315.00 - $9,155.00 per Month
|Posting Start Date:
This position requires a current Investment Officer II/I Exam. If you need to take the exam or if your score has expired, click here to gain list eligibility.
CalSTRS Personal Trading Program
Investment Branch employees are required to participate in the CalSTRS Personal Trading Program which allows CalSTRS to monitor employees’ personal trading transactions in order to reduce risks associated with insider trading, front running, and misusing material non-public information. Upon accepting a position within the Investment Branch, you will be required to disclose your personal broker account information and be required to utilize a personal broker from a designated list as provided by CalSTRS.
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
CalSTRS Disclosure Requirements
This position may be subject to disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, including the Conflict of Interest Code that applies to CalSTRS team members and the Political Reform Act, which require disclosure of certain investment information and use of a designated trading platform for securities transactions, as well as filing a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700).
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 12/20/2022
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
State Teachers' Retirement System
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Other - Cover letter is required and must be included.
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.
- Electronic applications through your CalCareer account are highly recommended. If you are unable to apply electronically through your CalCareer account, please mail or drop off a hard copy of your application packet. Please provide the following information on your application: RPA 472, JC-336773
- If education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications, please submit a copy of your transcripts/degree.
- Training and Development (T&D) assignments may be considered for this position. If you are applying as a T&D, please indicate this in the eligibility section of your application.
- Candidate may be selected by application packet review only.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
All civil service positions have salary ranges with minimum and maximum pay rates. Typically, employees who are new to civil service are appointed at the minimum rate of the salary range for the position. Special provisions for appointments above the minimum exist to meet special recruitment needs and to accommodate employees who transfer into a position from another civil service position and are already receiving salaries above the minimum.
||This listing expires on: 12/21/2023