Accountant III - Financial Reporting
The Accountant III – Financial Reporting position supports the Accounting Division Financial Reporting Manager with various financial reporting tasks and projects, assists with accounting and reporting tasks for defined contribution and deferred compensation plans, analyzes COF account balances, prepares monthly cost allocation, and participates in annual budget process. Responsible for auditing transactions, reconciling accounts, analyzing data and reports, and preparing or reviewing journal entries and financial reports.
Our ideal candidate is a professional team player with governmental accounting and public pension experience and/or strong knowledge of overall accounting reporting requirements. One who is a reliable team player, has effective communication skills, is detail-oriented, motivated, adaptable, open-minded, and takes initiative in problem solving. The ability to work effectively in a deadline driven environment is a must. If you are a dynamic, collaborative professional interested in playing a key role in PERA’s financial reporting and our work to fulfill the retirement expectations of our members, this is a great fit.
- Assists with the preparation and distribution of periodic financial statements and reports for executive management, PERA Board and external parties
- Analyzes financial data and communicates results to management, auditors, and other internal and external users
- Supports audit efforts by assisting with coordination of deliverables and resolution of issues between various PERA divisions and the external auditors
- Prepares and ensures accuracy of monthly cost allocation. Analyzes and answers questions related to cost allocation
- Performs account analysis and reconciles Common Operating Fund account balances to general ledger and financial reports
- Verifies data and prepares journal entries for budget requests and revisions
- Assists budget managers with budget reports and other inquiries
- Analyzes, compiles, and produces financial statements and managerial reports related to budget
- Serves as a preparer, reviewer or approver of various financial reporting and defined contribution daily/monthly/annual tasks as assigned
- Participates in auditing and testing of current processes and systems to ensure accurate recording of financial information, and to improve effectiveness and efficiency of processes
- Participates in the activities related to annual reporting as assigned and may include:
- Assisting with the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- The preparation of the GASB Employer Reports
- The administration of Workiva WDesk
- Keeps up to date with GASB and other professional standards
- Communicates and effectively explains complex information both verbally and in writing
- Supports the updating of accounting division policies and procedures
- Manages multiple priorities and meets competing deadlines
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other related field; progressive general ledger accounting and/or auditing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- MBA or related post-graduate degree and/or licensed CPA preferred
- Experience with public pension, finance, or government accounting preferred
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting requirements (GASB and GFOA)
- Effective technical writing abilities and organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Mathematical, analytical, and problem solving skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to analyze complex financial reports and systems
- Manages multiple priorities and meets competing deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting software; experience working with PeopleSoft Financials, nVision and Workiva preferred
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel preferred
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment
- Standard office environment with regular computer and telephone use
- Occasionally lift, move, or carry materials up to, and in excess of 20 pounds
WORK FROM HOME OPTION
- Opportunity to work from home up to two days per week. Eligibility dependent upon factors detailed in PERA's Work from Home Policy.
JOB DESCRIPTION DISCLAIMER:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned with or without notice.
Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter available to upload. Please review the following questions. You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- Describe how you communicate with others when relaying complex technical information that may be difficult for them to understand.
- Describe your knowledge of governmental accounting and public pension accounting.
- Describe your career progression and how you believe this position would contribute to your career goals.
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
As Colorado's largest public pension plan, we are committed to providing retirement and other benefits to more than 600,000 current and former teachers, State Troopers, corrections officers, snowplow drivers, and many other public employees who provide valuable service to all of Colorado.
We hire exceptional employees and invest in their growth and development. We are passionate about our work and committed to serving our members by delivering quality customer service, sound investment decisions, and education programs. Our culture is built on the core values of integrity and accountability, excellence and initiative, collaboration, and engagement. We value diverse perspectives and recognize that our people are our primary asset. We provide a healthy work-life balance and a culture where excellence is rewarded. At PERA, your work makes a difference every day.
At PERA, you will earn more than just a paycheck- our total rewards package is focused on wellbeing. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan including Health, Dental and Vision coverage, with eligibility for most plans being the first of the month following the date of hire. We offer a generous paid time off plan as well as paid volunteer hours, PERAs defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans (including employer match on the 401(k), as applicable), tuition assistance, on-the-job training, free access to an on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
Position Title: Accountant III - Financial Reporting
Reports to: Financial Reporting Manager
Job Status: Full Time / Exempt
Salary: $69,900 - $91,000 per year, Commensurate with experience
Posting Dates: 1/14/2022 - 2/20/2022