Summary of Position:
Located in north Houston, the Houston Firefighters’ Relief and Retirement Fund (HFRRF) is over a $4 billion public pension fund responsible for the administration of defined retirement benefits for over 7,000 active, retired Houston firefighters and survivors. Currently, the Fund has twenty-eight employees and is governed by a ten-member Board of Trustees.
Summary of Position:
The Benefits Specialist reports to the Benefits Manager of Member Services. This position is responsible for providing customer support relating to periodic payment issues and proficient administration of the monthly pension payments.
- Process changes to monthly benefit payments, including addresses, direct deposits, 1099-Rs, Post Retirement Option Plan (“PROP”) changes, etc., and enter these changes into the pension administration system (PAS)
- Administer and reconcile premium deductions on a monthly basis and coordinate the transfer of these amounts between the custodial bank and various payees (city of Houston, Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association, etc.) as needed. This includes the processing of monthly deduction refunds required by City of Houston, Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association, etc.
- Coordinate all premium/contribution changes in monthly amounts between organizations approved by the Board (City of Houston provided health, dental and life insurance; local 341 sponsored supplemental life, dental, vision insurance, Relative Assistance Fund, and Hospital Fund; Fire Museum; Pipe and Drums, Honor Guard and Dennis Holder Scholarship Fund) and custodial bank (including mass changes due to rate increases)
- Assist retirees and eligible survivors with DROP/PROP withdrawals, beneficiary, or monthly DROP/PROP credit change forms; direct deposit forms; Change of Name and Address forms, etc.
- Initiate requests for stop payment and reissue of monthly benefit payments through custodial bank
- Responsible for designing, developing, and conducting training as well as creating training videos for the website as requested
- Facilitate/Assist with “benefits presentation” and prepare handouts for the training academy, and other locations as needed
- Support the Member Services Department with administrative duties (such as disability application packets, DROP packets, standard MS forms and mailing correspondence as needed)
- Provides customer support to members pertaining to pension benefit issues
- Assist Benefits Manager and/or Director of Member Services with member benefit issues as needed
- Gather information, prepare for merging the letters and mailout of the Annual Supplement Benefit
- Responsible for student verification and QDRO correspondence
A four-year degree from an accredited college or university is required (business major preferred)
5-10 years of professional experience
Pension benefits experience a plus
CEBS a plus
Position requires strong interpersonal and analytical skills, with ability to continuously prioritize tasks and focus on pertinent issues. This individual must be able to communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership skills, and maintain the confidentiality of members’ issues. The successful candidate must be self-motivated and foster an environment that focuses on customer service and building strong relationships.
Competitive Salary - based on experience and qualifications
Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, sick, 457(b) & 401(a)
Individuals interested in the position that meet the minimum requirements are to submit their resume and cover letter to Resume@hfrrf.org
||Houston Firefighters' Relief and Retirement Fund
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 8/6/2021