Located in Houston near Bush Intercontinental Airport, the Houston Firefighters’ Relief and Retirement Fund (HFRRF) is over a $4 billion public pension fund responsible for the administration of defined retirement benefits for over 7,000 active, retired Houston firefighters and survivors. Currently, the Fund has twenty-eight employees and is governed by a ten-member Board of Trustees.
Summary of Position:
The General Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and Administration. Individual manages the day-to-day accounting and payroll functions for the Fund. Must effectively interact, communicate, and maintain a good working relationship with Board of Trustees and Fund Staff.
- Maintain the general ledger ensuring accuracy and integrity.
- Manage payables and receivables in timely and accurate manner.
- Generate monthly journal entries and accruals.
- Reconcile bank and credit card statements.
- Reconcile operating account balance sheet.
- Prepare and post bank deposits.
- Maintain accurate fixed assets accounts.
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll.
- Review timecards for errors.
- Ensure timecards are approved for payroll processing.
- Enter and process payroll.
- Maintain accurate benefit and tax data and prepare federal reports in a timely manner.
- Maintain and reconcile (on a monthly basis) employee medical benefit receivables.
- Scan secure HR and AP documents in compliance with open records and imaging procedures
- Assist Conference Center Department
- Process and issue receipts for all payments.
- Create and maintain Conference Center reports.
- Issue invoices for Corporate Events.
- Update EventPro transactions.
- Reconcile the Conference Center Usage Report.
- Follow up on all accounting related issues (i.e., outstanding bills)
- Assist with annual Audit operating expense reports and schedules related to payables and payroll.
- Reconcile and generate all Money Manager Fees on a quarterly basis.
- Other analytical and special projects as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university (Accounting Degree preferred).
- 5+ years of general accounting experience
- Detailed oriented
- Strong analytical skills
Experience with Financial Edge and ADP preferred.
Experience with PowerPlan and FileNet a plus
CPA or CPA candidate a plus.
Position requires an understanding of accounting principles, practices, and procedures with knowledge of computerized information systems used in accounting applications and be able to apply and follow GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). Must be able to manage and prioritizes tasks. Individual should be self-motivated and be able to work limited supervision. Must effectively demonstrate excellent oral, written communication, and computer skills.
Competitive Salary - based on experience and qualifications
Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life, vacation, sick, 457(b) & 401(a)
Individuals interested in the position that meet the minimum requirements are to submit their resume and cover letter to Resume@hfrrf.org