Investment Officer, Fixed Income
The CalSTRS Investments Branch is seeking an experienced individual to work as an Investment Officer in the Fixed Income unit.
The Fixed Income Unit was established in 1987 and is managed both internally and externally using enhanced and active strategies. Fixed Income seeks to provide value through innovative/active asset allocation and bond selection taking advantage of internally and externally managed strategies. In addition, Fixed Income is responsible for several other portfolios and programs including U.S. TIPS, Cash Management, Securities Lending, Risk Mitigating Long Duration U.S. Treasuries and Currency Management.
Under the general direction of the Portfolio Manager (PM), the Investment Officer (IO) III provides expertise and is responsible for assisting in the management of the Structured Product Portfolios (Agency MBS, CMBS, Core Plus, Private Credit, etc). The incumbent is expected to perform the most complex duties requiring the highest degree of independence, confidentiality, ethics, creativity, and discretionary judgment.
Responsibilities of the Investment Officer III include:
- Providing expertise and assisting in the evaluation of the relative value of various sectors within both the residential and commercial mortgage markets.
- Analyzing, evaluating, and recommending specific buy/sell opportunities for the team utilizing total return analysis and scenario analysis provided by in house models.
- Conducting and evaluating collateral surveillance including credit risk, ratings downgrade risk, prepayment risk, extension risk, and other investment risks.
- Providing input and recommendations toward formulating a comprehensive strategy for CalSTRS’ Structured Product Portfolios.
- Evaluating the suitability and merits of new investment products related to our sectors in order to determine their fitness for inclusion in CalSTRS’ investment program.
Duties will be adjusted at the Investment Officer II level.
The Investment Officer III is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 20% of base salary.
The Investment Officer II is eligible for incentive compensation and has a maximum incentive opportunity of 10% of base salary.
An Investment Officer II or III who possesses a professional certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) may receive a 5% monthly base pay differential.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative self-starter with strong analytical skills, experience trading mortgage backed securities, and excellent written communication skills.
This position requires a current Investment Officer II, CalSTRS or Investment Officer III, CalSTRS Exam. If you need to take the exam or if your score has expired, click here to gain list eligibility.
CalSTRS Personal Trading Program
Investment Branch employees are required to participate in the CalSTRS Personal Trading Program which allows CalSTRS to monitor employees’ personal trading transactions in order to reduce risks associated with insider trading, front running, and misusing material non-public information. Upon accepting a position within the Investment Branch, you will be required to disclose your personal broker account information and be required to utilize a personal broker from a designated list as provided by CalSTRS.
Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify education and check driving records.
The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political Reform Act.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Possession of an undergraduate degree in Statistics, Finance, Business, Economics or a closely related field
- CFA designation, Master’s degree in a related field, or other industry certification
- Knowledge of investment principles and trends across multi-asset classes, both public and private
- Strong understanding of quantitative research process and methods to produce and interpret information
- Experience with R Studio preferred
- Experience developing and implementing investment strategies
- Experience with portfolio construction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Ability to effectively analyze information to make decisions efficiently
- Ability to present information clearly, both orally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to work independently, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines
- Ability to successfully multi-task and re-direct job focus when needed
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team to support team, unit, and Investments Branch goals
- Ability to interact with various levels of internal and external professionals with tact and diplomacy
CalSTRS offers a competitive pay schedule and a work-life-balance for all its employees. The State of California provides comprehensive benefits packages determined by the employee’s bargaining unit and conditions of employment. Some benefits include:
- Alternative work schedules
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work options
- Medical benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid holidays and a defined benefit retirement program
- More than four weeks of vacation/sick leave for leaders
- More than three weeks of vacation/sick leave for staff
- Health insurance in retirement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
For the latest information on the benefits offered by the state of California, explore the Health Benefits Summary provided by CalHR.
Investment Officer, Fixed Income
||California State Teachers' Retirement System
||West Sacramento, CA
||$9,122.00 - $10,878.00 per Month
|Posting Start Date:
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: 4/22/2021
Who May Apply
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, eligible for reinstatement, have list eligibility, are in the process of obtaining list eligibility, or have SROA and/or Surplus eligibility (please attach your letter, if available). SROA and Surplus candidates are given priority; therefore, individuals with other eligibility may be considered in the event no SROA or Surplus candidates apply.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
State Teachers' Retirement System
P.O. Box 15275, MS 31
Sacramento, CA 95851-0275
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
State Teachers' Retirement System
CalSTRS, Attn: Recruitment
100 Waterfront Place
West Sacramento, CA 95605
08:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is required and must be included.
- Other - A Cover Letter is required an must be included.
- Electronic applications through your CalCareer account are highly recommended. If you are unable to apply electronically through your CalCareer account, please mail or drop off a hard copy of your application packet. Please provide the following information on your application: RPA 5143, JC-245789
- If education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications, please submit a copy of your transcripts/degree.
- Training and Development (T&D) assignments may be considered for this position. If you are applying as a T&D, please indicate this in the eligibility section of your application.
- Candidate may be selected by application packet review only.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
||This listing expires on: 4/22/2021